Tuesday, July 5, 2011

8 days to go...

Hey everyone!

Only about a week left to go - if you count a day of travelling. I am very excited to come home, but also very sad to leave. The fruits, the juices, the atmosphere, the weather, the food, the dancing, easy public transport (although not exactly the most environmentally friendly)...
On the other hand I can't wait to have my own room again, easy access to a washing machine, seeing family, friends, and pets again...

Which brings me to a very blonde moment here. Not blonde in the sense you might be thinking, but being blonde in Colombia, especially Manizales, which is not a very touristy city, is quite the experience. Walking on the street, I feel almost like a movie star (that's at least how a friend told me to think of it). Everyone is staring. Walking alone on the street means at least 25 men (usually on the older side) will say something to you in passing. "Hola preciosa, como estas?" "Buenos dias, hermosa." ... and any other number of ways of saying "Hello beautiful, how are you?" that you can think of. Others just stare. Even if you react in some way to the fact that they are very obviously staring, they don't really care and will happily continue. Lesson learned: looking different than the rest of the population will make you feel like a circus freak. I am still not quite used to it, and I'm not sure I would ever get used to it either. There are also the occasional looks from women, some of which are even kind of mean.

My living arrangements have stayed the same thanks to my great host - despite the fact that he is now gone for an English camp for the week. On Saturday I will be off to NatCo Colombia!!! Time flies when you are having fun :) I must say though, today has been one of the GREATEST days so far. It has a very simple reason. CHOCOLATE. But not just any kind of chocolate, oh no. Kinder Schokolade. And not just that, but, an UEBERRASCHUNGSEI. I have not had one for 3 years! German chocolate... in Colombia.. the USA can learn a lot. The reason I have not had the chance to try this delicious chocolate for 3 years, is because it is not sold in the summer due to it's thin layer of chocolate, which is prone to melting very quickly in even just a bit of heat. Of course, summertime has been the time I spent in Germany...
Either way, this has made me the happiest person alive!!! (and people say I'm not easy to please... ;)

un abrazo desde Colombia

1 comment:

  1. Great to see you're having a great time! And seriously, these Kinder eggs are the size of dodge balls...

    ReplyDelete